Portergirl (April 2010)

Portergirl (April 2010)
Metamorphosis

A little information about me :-)

My photo
Within the last couple of years I’ve had some pretty exciting things happen in my life. I purchased a home, I received my first degree this past September, I was recently engaged in April, and my son graduated from high school June 4th. In an effort not to bore you with every detail of my life, I will attempt to keep it simple and mainly discuss those things that deal with my weight loss issues, goals and tasks at hand. But let’s be real, I am a female approaching marriage, surely I will touch on many other subjects.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

TODAY is the DAY


I had been thinking of how I could work out twice a day. It is very hard to work out at the gym or even go out to the park early in the mornings. I would have to rise at 3:00am, not happening. I was thinking about purchasing a recumbent bike. We all know why I would choose a “recumbent” over a stationary bike. If you don’t know, I will tell you, the seats are bigger and it seems to be less work. Anyway, I figured I could do this in the mornings and workout again in the evenings after work. I’ve read in many articles that if you do something early in the day it gives you more energy and you burn more calories throughout the day. I am all for that. My search started on Craigslist to find a bike within my budget. I found an ad for someone selling used equipment for very reasonable prices. I went over after work and to my surprise he had a nice selection, but I was ONLY interested in the $35 bikes he mentioned over the phone lol. Just to make conversation I asked about other equipment I saw. He was a trainer so I wanted to pick his brain and see what information I could get out of him for free. I asked if he’d recommend other equipment over bikes…and his response was “if you want to sit and pedal you can” BUT you’d burn more calories doing blah blah blah. The way he said “sit and pedal” made me feel lazy. That may have been a sales tactic, and if so, it worked. I ended up buying an older model elliptical machine for a bit more.


I woke up this morning PUMPED. I found Joyce Meyer on television and got on my elliptical machine. I was thinking to myself “why did I purchase this when I absolutely avoid these things at the gym?” At any rate, I did it. It squeaked a little, which was very amusing for my dog. I know he was waiting for me to leave the room so that he could “mark his territory.” I won’t go into how long I was on the machine, let’s just say it was longer than I expected to stay on.
Not sure what I will do after work. Maybe I will go to the park where I love to walk and think. Maybe I’ll take Bishop (my dog) for a walk around the neighborhood. He loves it but by the time we hit the corner to come back home his tongue is hanging from his mouth… so embarrassing. He’s definitely a house dog. They say a dog’s health is also a reflection of its owners.
I have signed up for kickboxing. I hear it really works for shedding the pounds, but that seems true for most cardio work-outs. I have many ideas and will definitely keep you posted on which ones I follow through on.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, kickboxing is awesome and such a way to burn the calories. Also, it will make your legs look great!

    And try to get in touch with that trainer!

    You can always come running with me. It's free and it's working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm I have to work my way up to you. You'd have me out there looking like Bishop :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been dealing with a similar situation struggling to find time to exercise and trying to discipline myself to a healthier diet. After having 2 babies just 15 months apart my body definitely changed from what I was comfortable in. My work is in progress too so I will share my findings as they are revealed to me.

    However I would like to encourage you to stay positive and focus on your goal. Your previous experiences were not "for nothing" but allowed you to gain knowledge and understanding of how your body responds and what works for you. If you've done it once, you can do it again!

    I have just hired a VERY affordable personal trainer in Mo.City to work with twice a week for 12 weeks. I will let you know how it goes, if proven successful it may be worth the drive for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Fran,
    Please send me the information, website or whatever you have. I met with a trainer about a week ago and her prices were a little steep. Im all for affordable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good going Charyse. I'm motivated.

    Also, I guess it's probably easier to work out at home because you are AT HOME and it just feels better. LOL I keep saying I'm going to start exercising...well...today is the day!!

    ReplyDelete